Jonathan Ekuban Daily Devotional – 19th August, 2017
TITLE: DIVINE EXCHANGE
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Corinthians 5:21
“A Beautiful Exchange” is such an amazing song that was written by Joel Houston. When he wrote it, I believe he was thinking about what Christ achieved on the cross. One of the first lines in the second verse says: “Trading Your life for my offenses / For my redemption / You carried all the blame / Breaking the curse of our condition / Perfection took our place”. It is this divine exchange that took place on the cross when Jesus sacrificed His life for our sins and our shame in order to restore us and give us new life in Him. That’s actually a beautiful exchange.
The points below briefly explains the exchange that Christ did on our behalf:
- Jesus was punished that we may be forgiven 1 John 1:8-9
- Jesus was also wounded that we may be healed. Isaiah 53:4-5 Matthew 8:16-17, 1 Peter 2:24
- The Lord made the soul of Jesus a sin offering. According to the mosaic law, the person who had sin was required to bring his own sacrifice; be it sheep, bull or goat. Then he will confess his sins. After his confession, the priest symbolically takes it away. 2 Corinthians 5:21, IS 53:12
- Jesus died our death that we might share his life Ezekiel 18:4 Rom 6:23 Hebrews 2:9. On the cross, God have us eternal life which is God’s own kind of life known as “Zoe”.
- Jesus took over our poverty that we will walk in riches. The child of a goat is a goat. The child of a king is royalty. If your father is a king, you cannot be poor. Obadiah 1:17, 2 Corinthians 8:9, 2 Corinthians 9:8, Deuteronomy 28:48 John 19:23
- Jesus bore our shame that we may walk in glory.
- Jesus bore our rejection that we may share his acceptance (that you will be accepted). Hebrews 12:2, Hebrews 2:10, Hebrews 4:12
Lord may my desire and sole ambition be, to love YOU just the same as you love me.